This recipe is an old family favourite. It can be prepared quickly and cooks while the pasta water comes to the boil. Or, if you have the time, it can be ‘reduced’ for a rich, full-bodied sauce.
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
1 large onion, finely sliced or chopped
2 rashers of middle bacon, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tbspns olive oil
1 tin diced tomatoes
¼ cup passata (tomato puree)
¼ tspn dried chilli flakes (optional)
500g Spaghetti No. 3 (or your favourite pasta)
- Heat oil in medium saucepan and add onions to cook on low while you dice the bacon
- Add diced bacon and continue cooking on low while you prepare other ingredients. Turn up heat to medium, keep stirring until onions start to colour.
- Add garlic, fry for 2 mins
- Add chilli, cook further 1 min
- Add tin of diced tomatoes, passata and season to taste. Increase heat – bring to boil, then simmer on low for 15 mins.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add spaghetti, cook as per instructions on packet (5-7 mins). Drain well. Serve with generous ladle of sauce and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.