Whipping up a plate of homemade brownies is a surefire way to end up the most popular girl at the party. Or if you’re like me, a surefire way to cause awkwardness between you and your housemate when she can smell fresh brownies but you have sneakily hidden them in your bedroom.
You’d have to make a right mess of a recipe, to make a batch of brownies I wouldn’t like. Whether adding choc chips, nuts, or whatever sweet treats you found in the pantry, I don’t discriminate!
Having tried and tested most celebrity chef recipes and packet mixes on the market, I was ecstatic to finally find the ticket to brownie perfection. This recipe. It does take a little more time but if you’re looking for a jaw-dropping, OMG brownies, look no further.
The recipe has been tried and tested by yours truly and is reminiscent of those Melbourne cafe brownies that you can never resist grabbing to-go. The perfect mixture of fudgey, cakey, moist and chewy; you really can’t go wrong with this recipe!
600g dark chocolate
3 cups brown sugar
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
Nuts or chocolate bits if you wish
1. Preheat oven to 180°.
2. Line a 20cm x 20cm baking tray with baking paper.
3. Melt dark chocolate & butter in microwave, and mix together until smooth.
4. Add eggs & sugar to chocolate & butter mix, and stir.
5. Slowly add remaining ingredients to mix, and combine.
6. Pour mixture into lined baking tray and bake for 30-35mins (make sure you set a timer!).
7. To check for doneness insert a bamboo skewer into the middle of the brownie. If it comes out very wet, bake for a little longer, rechecking every minute or two with a new skewer. Once your skewer comes out with moist cakey crumbs and a smear of brown, your brownies are done (yay!).
8. Resist the temptation to dig into these straight away. Instead, leave them on the counter to set, as this will make them easier to slice.
Don’t forget to lick the spoon while you’re waiting!